Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Light


If you think about it, light is fascinating. There can be the tiniest spark of it, yet it pierces darkness in a way that is unavoidable. I love words that encompass light, such as: illuminate, brilliant, radiant, shining, etc. I think there is a powerful theme of light throughout the Bible, that to me is un-ignorable. Do you ever have themes that God highlights to you when reading his Word? I do, and light is definitely one of them.

Jesus spoke of John the Baptist saying, “He was the burning and shining lamp, and you were willing for a time to rejoice in his light.” (John 5:35) Woah. Jesus spoke that about His dear friend & cousin who is known for paving the wave of making Jesus known. What an honor, for Jesus to describe John as a burning and shining light. I hope that I could be known for that- although I would never compare myself to John the Baptist!

The Bible actually has a lot to say about light. John 1:5 says, “..and the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.” If I thought the above statement about John was powerful, well this one his me like a ton of bricks. Darkness can never, EVER overcome light. This resonates both in the physical AND spiritual realm. On a physical note, even the tiniest spark of light will be seen in the midst of darkness. As for the spiritual realm, well… “Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.” God is triumphant in EVERY situation and has already won the victory by defeating Satan on the Cross. So yes, in the spiritual realm, God who is light, will always defeat darkness as well.

Here are a few scriptures that stick out to me regarding light:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple. Psalm 119:130

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105

Arise, shine; For your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you. Isaiah 60:1

You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:14

No one, when he has lit a lamp, puts it in a secret place or under a basket, but on a lampstand, that those who come in may see the light. Luke 11:33

That was the true light which gives light to every man coming into the world. John 1:9

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I thought it would be fun to include a few pictures from a night of light painting last summer. 


xo, Kelsey Belle

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXELZINE